1.3.13

Another poem about your body


I reach my hand to yours and it melts there
The limbs of the city stretch into an indifferent, placid embrace
The lights scamper down Westmount
tickle the aching thighs of the city limits
Parks and graveyards spread like pools of warm milk
poured over your contours 
Museums open and children learn about dinosaurs 
from plastic
they see into dimensions, they are there
encased and safe 
 
It is April and the sweet salt stains race across 
your legs, streak to your feet
beneath the sewer line
where warm rivers run and connect each quiet box 
each lonely apartment

your pink, soft veins trek downtown
I massage your barrel back
the construction worker pours fresh concrete 
linesmen repair the wires that suspend our
delicate secret language 

I lean toward you like a crane easing,
the breeze from the whirring cars moves you inward
your temple finds my lips
a duck settles on a glowing lake
           ripples stretch down the stairwell


Reactions:

3 comments:

Enigmatic Soul said...

This was incredible. I have never before read an expression of love through the description of a city. I love it!

sursanchari said...

Lady, you need to start submitting your stuff!

sursanchari said...

Consider Prairie Schooner.

Post a Comment

Copyright © a contemplation (Emily Jones) 2013. All rights reserved.